For quite some time I made our granola bars pretty frequently – like twice a month or so. They were easy to have on snacking, had decent protein and we all like them. Then Ryan started hinting at the desire for basic granola. He would crumble the granola bars into his yogurt or would stop and take a gander at the granola at the store. Finally a few months ago I began the granola making habit one to stay in our house. First small batches that he would ration through the week and even endearingly instagramming his “#joyfullygranola”.
So today I thought that I would share my Joyfully Granola recipe. It makes 6 cups of granola and it’s a winner with the whole family. You can increase its size by adding fruit or nuts to it, as well.
- 6c Old Fashion Oats
- 2/3-1c Honey
- 1/2 c Oil of your choice
- 2.5 tsp Salt
- 1/3 c Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 300*
- Spread out granola on a baking sheet (I line mine with my silicone baking mat)
- Bake for 12 minutes then use a spatula to mix the granola.
- Bake for another 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. The mixture won’t “look done”, as it’ll have a softer texture still. It’ll harden as it cools.
- While the granola cools stir the mixture about every 10 minutes. This will break up the granola, as well as, help with the cooking process!
- We store in an airtight container on the counter.