We had our family photos taken a few weeks back, I’d waited for weeks to have them done and the morning was great. My hair was behaving, my makeup looked fine – I felt overall really good. Once I got the photos back I noticed something though, most of the photos of me alone were my least favorite. They didn’t capture the “all over good” I felt. I didn’t have anything to do with clothes, or weight or my hair; and it certainly had nothing to do with the photographer.
“What is it about these?,” I wondered. I clicked, and clicked and clicked through looking at the head shots over and over again.
I went to the shots of me with Ryan and A in the background. The felt different, they felt good and I looked different. My smile was real, my posture was relaxed and I felt really, really good. If you looked at my sidebar at the very start of the launch you saw a different one there but it just didn’t feel like it was “it”. I didn’t feel my best in it. After much deciding, I went with my gut and picked the one that felt right. Ironically, thinking back to the site the one I chose as my headshot was one of the few that A was around me, she was running around within my sight. My smile was genuine, and the photo was just – me.
Wrapping my head around what was different wasn’t necessarily hard to do but then I saw this and it all made perfect sense:
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. (Matthew 6:21 NIV)
My family is my treasure, they are my whole heart. There isn’t any doubt about it and the photos show exactly that. You see my heart in those photos, it’s radiating all around me. And they are my biggest happy place which leads me to further this post. My new friend, Tarissa from Introverted Mama, tagged me in a post last week called “My Happy Place” which fit perfectly with this post I’ve been planning to post for a while. My family is my happy place – wherever they are and I am too, I’m happy and content and there’s no where else I would rather be.
I’m also in my happy place when:
- I’m enjoying the outdoors in the warm sunshine in the mountains.
- I’m snuggled up with A in our favprite snuggly blanket.
- I’m creating something in the kitchen or on paper with A.
- I’m having good conversation with a good friend.
- I’m trusting that God has whatever is going on and I have no need to worry.
- I’m spending quality one-on-one time with Ryan after A is napping or has gone to bed.
- I’m preparing to open my home for others to come.
- I’m helping, inspiring, or encouraging another person.
- (and again) I’m spending time with my family.
Join me! Where is your happy place?