Hey there readers. 🙂 I’m Amanda from Dragonflight Dreams, and I live in the great state of Texas. Texas is a lot of things, some good and some not so good. But one thing not up for debate is that Texas summers are HOT. We’re already starting our 100-degree days here, and it’s barely into June. So it’s understandable that I’m always on the look out for creative ways to keep me and my loved ones cool during the summer. Today I thought I’d share some of those with you.
Fun with Ice Cubes
No, I’m not going to advocate laying in a pile of ice cubes like the dog above. Instead, here’s some new things to do with ice cubes:
- Pure Fruit Ice Cubes (scroll down). Or just pop some plain berries or grapes into the freezer for a quick snack.
- Mint Ice Cubes
- Green Tea Ice Cubes: for use in smoothies, or to not water down your iced tea as they melt.
- Edible Flower Ice Cubes: these are so pretty!
- For sunburn: Aloe Vera Ice Cubes (not edible).
- For dogs: Yogurt Ice Cubes. Also, for a fun toy, try putting a few ice cubes in an old sock or washcloth and tying off the end(s), and giving that to your pup to play with. My dog loves it, and it’s especially good for teething puppies.
Make Your Own Frozen Treats
Because, let’s be honest, summer is the prime time for all things ice cream. 🙂
- Frozen Hot Chocolate: in case you just can’t wait til winter to enjoy this drink.
- Popsicles for Adults: for a splash of liquory fun in your treats, try out the recipes here, here, and here.
- Ice Cream Fondue: I think Haagen Daaz is onto something here. I can’t wait to try this. Check out this picture of it.
- Ice Cream Sandwich Bars: tons of recipes online for how to do these yourself. My favs: Lemon Bluberry, Cookies & Cream, Chocolate-Dipped Raspberry, Crispy Ice Cream Bars, and Mint Brownie Bars.
- Homemade Ice Cream: Two ways to do it without an ice cream machine, quick or ultra-creamy.
Non-Edible Cooling Tricks
Tips for keeping cool that don’t involve stuffing your face. 😉
- Cool Yourself Without A/C: A great round-up of tips from wikiHow.
- 3 Creative Ways To Keep Your Toddler Cool And Entertained: I don’t have kids yet, but I imagine mom readers out there will appreciate this.
What are your favorite ways to keep cool?